Saturday, July 20, 2013

Baton Rouge, done, next big city... New Orleans!!!

Sadly, yesterday morning I again had to bid farewell to the comforts of a beautiful house and continue on with just my tent and gear on my back. I had been staying with some great friends, Gary and Ralph in Baton Rouge and after some good times catching up, it was time to be on my way south again. I have now arrived in a small town south of Baton Rouge by the name of "Gonzales." From here I plan to get to the even smaller town of Sorrento where hopefuloly I will be able to find a place to pitch my tent for thre night before heading into an isolated strech of this area for a day of walking tomorrow.

Last night I managed to find a little church on the edges of a town called "Praireville." It was a nice little place and gave me a good night rest. At one stage I looked up to the roof of my tent with my torch and realized how lucky I was to be inside it, there were literally hundreds of mosquitos banging into and trying their upmost best to get to their meal (me) inside this giant dome. I thought of when I was doing this trek in winter and how at times I would simply just roll out my sleeping bag and sleep in the open air, well, not a chance i will be trying that this time.

The few days walking through Baton Rouge were good, well they have their pros and cons I guess. The pros are one always has a supply to water and food with all the stores and service stations one has to pass. The cons are simple, the amount of noisy traffic. But one has to take the good with the bad dont they, I got through there unscathed so I will not complain.

Since getting to Gonzales it has been funny the amount of people looking for me, stopping there cars and asking for photos. I have no idea how, but it has been on the radio or television what I am doing and after meeting some young girls and guys the other day while grabbing a bite to eat, and with them putting it all over their facebook, it has been really suprising all the people yelling out to me or stopping with food or for photos, it has been good for a laugh anyway!

Well best get on my way again, gotta reach Sorrento and find a place to pitch the tent...

No comments:

Post a Comment