Sunday, July 21, 2013

Resting up...

It was funny the other day as I was passing through Baton Rouge, as I usually do when walking, I was singing at the top of my lungs. One always thinks when he or she is alone that they are hitting all the notes and sounding brilliant. Little did I know, as I was singing "Bye Bye American Pie", a policeman had stopped behind me and was yelling at me trying to get my attention. I was able to hear him in between my song, I turned around laughing and apologized. He did not seem to think it was that funny that the crazy, singing man had been ignoring him for so long, but after he realized that I was not from the USA and after I told him about what I was doing he was a really good and helpful guy. He bid me farewell and jokingly offered me a lift in the squad car.

Well yesterday I did manage to get to Sorrento. I made my way through the little town and arrived at the south end of it, finding myself looking at a small Baptist church. I met a guy there named Mike who was just finishing up cutting the grass. He called the pastor for me who came down to meet me. Eugene is his name (the pastor) and he was kind enough to invite me back to his house which he shares with lovely wife Betty. Eugene has been pastor of the Sorrento Baptist church for 37 years now and is a great, and very generous man. So here I am now after going to church with them this morning and after eating a good lunch with them both and their son. Rain has settled in for the day and Eugene and Betty invited me to stay again for the night so that I do not have to walk in the rain. Considering that the next 25 miles is passing through nothing but swamps with alligators and snakes, this is a pretty welcoming invitation I assure you. The comforts a nice home brings are such pleasures. Both the physical comforts of hot water, a bed, hot, delicious food etc etc but also the comforts of good people are so welcoming. A nice conversation and an obvious eagerness to help out wherever they can provides one with so much fuel for the journey, both physically and spiritually it really does. I still really enjoy the time I have alone, time to think, to dream, to pray, to plan, but those short times of fellowship with people from all types of places and backgrounds is  always really nice. At the moment, I am enjoying one of these moments.

I might not have Internet for a few days after this, but as soon as I can I will report in again. Tomorrow I will be heading through a swampy area for around 20 - 25 kms before reaching Lutcher where I will then begin to follow the levee of the river to the outskirts of New Orleans.

I spoke to my brother the other day which was great, it had been almost a month since I had spoken with any family from Australia. I am close with my family, especially my brother so this chat came in good timing. He gave me some good advice about enjoying the last part of the trek and I can assure you, I am doing my best to put this advice into practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment