Saturday, December 10, 2011

Three Quaters - Done and Dusted...

After 2 long, looong weeks I have finally arrived in Memphis, back to Josh, Cameron and Murphs house, and do you think it was a pleasure to finally walk into their house again, god it was nice I tell you.

After being stuck in the motel a week or so ago, the rains eventually died away and I was able to push on south again. But I tell you, it did rain those few days I was stuck in the motel. The day I left the whole carpark of the motel I stayed at was under water and as soon as I had left the town and the farmland began, it was rare to find a paddock that did not resemble a small lake. I got a few good days walking in with cold, but sunny days that followed the rain.

From Blythville I made my way through the towns of Luxora, Osceola, Wilson, Bassett, Joiner, Turrell, Clarkdale and West Memphis before I crossed the border into Tennesse this morning.

I got to the town of Osceola around 6pm and coulod not find a good place to camp, so I headed on south. I came to the edge of town and could see nothing but darkness ahead of me. With the forecast telling me we were expecting snow for the night I did not fancy the idea of trying to find a campsite in the dark with snow falling on top of me. I spotted some lights a little back so made my way towards them. It was a little pharmacy. I asked the people there if there was a place to camp a little down the road, they informed me that there was a church maybe 2kms further down where I could camp. The owners were a really nice couple who asked me about what I was doing. I told them all was going well execpt for my achilles. The guy there, Jerry, told me he understood about them and lifted the bottom of his pants to reveal a long scar running along his achilles tendon. He had an operation there some years ago and when he saw my red and swollen achilles I think he felt a little compassion and gave me a bottle of Ibe Profin and a few bottles of Gatorade to wash them down. I thanked them and continued on south in search of the church, or my room for the night. I arrived shortly and put my tent up in a hurry under a tiny carport type thing out the back of the church, I say in a hurry as it was getting cold, real cold real quick. Just as I was finishing my meal for the night of a can of fruit salad and a few energy bars, I took a look out of the tent to see the snow arriving. After maybe 10 mins or so the snow had become pretty thick and did not let up until the morning. During the night the tent got a good layerof snow all over it, turning my tent into an ice box. My sleeping bag has a comfort rating of -11 and on this night it was working hard to keep me warm, it was a long cold night!

Arriving in the town of Wilson, I settled in and put my tent out the back of a church again. I eneded up meeting a small group of some of the regulars there who had gathered for a bible study. I joined them and after we got chatting and I was again blessed by being surrounded by good people who offered me the option to stay the night in the church. Hearing that the night was forecast to be -4, I greatfully accepted. Not only did they offer me the use of the church, they returned later to bring me a hot bowl of soup, and also in the morning, brang me breakfast and coffee. Thanks so much to you guys, it really was a pleasure to meet you all and spend time with you.

Yesterday and today were both long days. I knew I was a good two days walk from the boys house here in Memphis, but I wanted to arrive tonight, so I pushed out two long days without having any breaks in between, except to use the bathroom and look at my GPS. So I am here now and to be honest, I am happy and stuffed. I will spend one more night here before heading off again south. It really is nice to be in a warm home with good people.

After having those days rest in the motel and taking those Ibe Profin that Jerry had kindly gave me, I am happy to say that my achilles virtually improved overnight. It was awesome, I woke up the next day after taking the Ibe Profin and was expecting that stab of pain with my first step, but nothing happened, I couldnt beleive it, it had actually improved dramatically overnight.

So all is well here in Memphis Tennessee, I have completed more than 75% of the trek, my body is feeling strong and healthy, I am in a warm house with good people, I have had a shower and washed my rancid clothes after 2 weeks in them, and now I am looking forward to the next 800 or so kms ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. We're still praying for you, and I will update everyone at church in Blodgett tomorrow. - Pastor Allen Nichols

    ReplyDelete