Saturday, November 12, 2011

Company...

I just arrived back at the church an hour ago after a great day. After breakfast at Johns house, which is just across the road from the church, we waited for Kathy to arrive, then headed of at 7am. The day was looking perfect with a few, thin, wispy clouds here and there and a beautiful sunrise to start the day. We arrived at the top of one of the highest bluffs along the route, exactly 40kms from the church, this was our starting point. What a view it was, it was really magic, with the river winding its way through all the bluffs and crevices of the hills. It was great to be able to do the walk with some local knowledge of the area.

From the bluff we wound our way through a national park, where John, who is an avid bird watcher, pointed out to us many species of eagle, hawk and duck. We then hit some more hills and smaller bluffs which was followed by open farmland and two dogs that decided we looked like a good gand to hang out with. One of the dogs was actually a blue heeler which brough back memories of Australia. Arriving back at the church around 8 hours later we were all glad to be there. I gotta tell you, Kathy, at 50 years old is a strong, fit women and John, my god, I thought he was in his 50s as I had said in the last post, when I asked him his age today, I nearly fell over when he told me 68. What great shape this fella is in. Try walking 40kms up and down hills with wind in ya face in your 20s or 30s let alone high 60s. I take my hat off to them both for todays effort!

Tonight there is a movie at the church with a heap of the regulars coming in to see it. The film is based in New Mexico in the town where John started his service in the ministry so I am looking forward to checking it out and then curling up for my last night under a roof for who knows how long, as the next strech of the trek will be in pretty barren and isolated area.

Thanks so much to John and Kathy for their company today. It was a pleasure to be on the road with such good people full of enthusiasm and energy, and also sharing laughs and stories of our travels. It has been a real good break in the routine since landing in the little town of Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment