Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Halfway...

Sorry it has been a while since I have added a post. The first few days after I left Louisiana I did not have access to internet and yesterday and today I was without my computer.

After getting the opportunity from Pastor John to speak at the church about what I was doing and the cause, I got going out of Louisiana at arond 2pm. My destination was Clarksville which was only 15kms or so. I made that by around 5pm which made for a nice, easy day of walking. Clarksville is a really pretty, little place right on the river and is home to many artist which have their small galleries all along the river.

I was up early the following day and keen to make up some ground. After 30kms or so on a great day full of sun and with a slight wind at my back I had arrived in Elsberry. I stopped here as I was in luck and the little town happened to have a Subway store, my favorite takeaway and a place that always makes my days a little better when I come across one in these little river towns! I got talking to the ladies there and one of them, Cindy, offered to take my cart to a pub that was just next to her house further south. She told me the pub was only around 5kms or so, so I thought perfect and we heaved the cart up into the back of her car. 2 hours and 12kms later I arrived at the pub to find my cart waiting for me with the local crew of the pub. Seems Cindy misjudged the distance a little, but all good as this made the next day a little easier I guess.

The local crew there were great and let me pitch my tent on their property along with also buying me dinner and throwing me free drinks all night. Only soft drink though I tell ya, could not think of anythinjg worse than trying to walk 30+ kms with a slight hangover, it is hard enough as it is... thanks to Paul and the boys for their hospitality, it was good to sit back and relax and have a laugh with yas all.

Yesterday I only managed to get 10kms or so before the shoulder on the road become non existent, and also as I was approaching the big city of St louis, the traffic was getting thicker and wilder. After 20mins of dragging the cart over the gravel I again had had enough and put out the thumb and began to hitch hike. I managed to get a ride into St Louis. I found another church and they were good enough to let me store my cart there and then also they offered to drive me back to almost where I left off. I managed to get a little closer to where I wanted but finished off around 10 kilometers from where I needed to be, but with daylight running out I started heading back to the city. With that, I now have 10kms I need to make up somewhere on the river further south.

I walked to about 7:30 at night before finding a spot to pitch the tent in the suburb of St Peter. This morning I awoke with a good day of around 30kms to walk to get back to the church that was holding my cart for me. Arriving at 4pm I was stuffed. I think all this is finally catching up with me. Tonight I am spent and even writing this is taking it out of me. I have many little events and stories I want to talk about but will have to leave it to another day when I am feeling a little more alive.

After going out for dinner with some great people from the church, they were good enough to offer me a room in their church for the night. With the temperature expected to drop below freezing tonight and being as tired as I am, these words were like music to my ears. Thanks so much to Shannon and the crew for their kindness, prayers and company.

I am sorry for the very non colorful post tonight, usually I try to fill you guys in on the more eventful and interesting things that are passing me by, but tonight I am just not up to it. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a new day with new energy...

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to St. Louis! I live about 30 miles down the river from the city.

    ReplyDelete