Friday, November 11, 2011

Greetings Missouri...

I gotta tell you, from where I was in the last post, things have improved...

Last night I found myself wandering along searching for a camp spot for the night. I was on a country road, but it still had too much traffic on it to pitch the tent on the side of the road without upsetting someone or posing a danger to myself due to the chance of a stray driver. the night had turned freezing also, at -2c and almost dark I was getting pretty keen to batten down for the night. Eventually I came across a little old town hall, which was hidden off to the side of the road, it was perfect for the night. I set up camp and after a day of around 30kms I nodded off to sleep.

I was up early this morning, and boy was it cold, still below 0c at around 6:30am. I got my things together quickly as possible to get a good start to the day, but also to try to keep warm. It was pretty much smooth sailing for the first 18kms until I reached the town of Hull. I had ran out of water and food at this stage so was pretty keen for a feed and to refil the water bottles. I asked a bloke if there was any such place around that could help me out with this and he pointed me in the direction of the only restaurant in the town. I arrived to find them closing up for the day, but after a little pleading they agreed to russle me up a chicken and salad sandwich to keep me going. I thanked them and made off for Hannibal.

I reached the turn off to Hannibal an hour or so later but was to find I had made my first dumb mistake with my orientation. I did not notice on my maps that the bridge that crosses over the Mississippi river to Hannibal was an interstate road and can not be used by pedestrians. I thought about taking a chance with it but seeing the road and the bridge distance in total that I had to cover was over 10kms, I thought better not take my chances. I have had a good run with the police of the USA and did not want to jepordise that. My only other possibility was to continue on down the Illinois side another 50kms to the next bridge. But there was not another town that sold food until that next bridge. I was stuck. I must have looked like a lost soul as while I was pondering this a honking of someones horn snapped me out of my thoughts. A guy had pulled over and informed me he was heading to the town of Louisiana (yes the town, not the state) which was the exact town I was headed to. Perfect. I jumped in and we set off.

I arrived in Louisiana around 3pm. I thanked Gary and started wandering the town, looking for a bar or church - quite different places I know, but they are the best places to leave my gear when I need to backtrack the following day to complete parts of the walk. 10 mins later I came across a church. Two guys were entering it so I went up and introduced myself. After chatting a while to Jo and hs son Matt, they were quick to invite me inside, offer me the use of the shower (they offered a little too quick, think I might of been letting off a good odor) and asked if I would like to spend the night in the church - seems I had come to the right place. After I had showered and changed I went back upstairs and was to meet the Pastor of the church, John. After chatting for a while we decdided to head down to the local pizza place for some dinner. John invited one of his friends, Kathy, for dinner as he tells me she is an adventurer and would love to hear about my journey. To cut a long story short, I invited the two of them to join me on the walk tomorrow, it will be a long one of about 48kms. They both jumped at the chance. It will be great to have some company on tomorrows leg of the journey. John and Kathy are both in their 50s but are both in great shape so it should be a good day and I am looking forward to it.

We are going to be walking down the Missouri side of the river tomorrow which I have heard is one of the most beautiful parts of the whole river. John knows of some tracks that cut through some national parks also so it is shaping up for a great day.

Now I am off to relax in this huge church that I  have all to myself. It has been a good day and an even better night, running into yet again, some truly lovely people...

No comments:

Post a Comment