Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mission Complete...

Waking up this morning I was filled with a warm, happy feeling. This was for two reasons, the first one was that last night I had picked up my wife Cami from the airport and this morning I was able to look over and see her next to me. The second was that I was only a few kms to the end of an enduring chapter in my life, the finish line of the "Journey Down The Mississippi."

Cami and I had a nice breakfast of muffins, sausages, eggs, fruit, juice and tea. We then took off towards Jackson Square. The square was only about 5 kms away, so we took our time along the river chatting and taking some photos. It was such a nice feeling to be walking and not pushing and trying to get as far as possible for the day. We arrived at exactly midday, climbed the stairs from the river, passed the statue of Andrew Jackson and finally placed my hand on those big, beautiful doors of St Louis Cathedral, I had arrived!

I had often thought about this moment, since the very first step I took from the beginning of the river up there in Minnesota. Many people had also asked me "what do you think it will be like when you finally arrive?" This might disappoint some people, but there was no amazing or spiritual moment I received by arriving at those big, old, beautiful church doors. Truthfully the amazing, spiritual moments I had were ON the journey, not at the end of it. Moments with complete strangers who became such important friends, with the amazing wildlife of this country, alone camping on the river or in the forest and most important of all, the moments I shared with God.

I want to thank so many people for their kindness and support. If I tried to start listing them off now, I would be here for a very long time as I was so, so lucky to have come across such a wonderful and kind bunch of people. You know who you are and I really thank you from the bottom of my heart. How fortunate I am to have met you on this journey. I must give one special thanks to my absolutely gorgeous wife Cami. For the amount of support, patience and love she showed me throughout this whole experience. I am so very blessed to have her in my life as my wife. Thank you so much Cami...

I leave you now with much love and with some very suitable words to close this chapter.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."





No comments:

Post a Comment