Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving...

If I have lost any weight on this trek I can tell you now I reckon I probably have come close to putting it all back on, and that all just happened yesterday at thanksgiving with Matt and his family, boy do those Yanks prepare a feast! Yesterday was the perfect day off. I awoke around 8am and stayed in bed until around 10am catching up with emails and so forth. Got up, showered and shaved (What a feeling) and then the feast began. Turkey, corn, mashed potato, sweet potatos, three different types of salads and cranberry sauce, all washed down with iced tea. This was just the begining. For dessert there were two apple pies, a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie, with cream or ice cream. After we had all done our best attacking this great food (Matts wife and mother are both extremerly good cooks too by the way) we retired to the lounge room to watch the football and take a nap only to wake up an hour later to head over to a friend of the families for more of the same food and hay rides which are a thanksgiving tradition over here. It really was a great day spent with really great people.
This morning I awoke though having to face the reality of leaving the comforts of Matts house and family. I will miss that house full of those beautiful people. After a hard slog through the areas of Northern St Louis and through the city itself I could not have come across a better family to spend time with and to find again the positive energy I need to finish the trek. To all the Johnsons I want to say thank you so much for all you guys did to help me out, I really will not forget it, you did more for me than you will probably ever know, thank you.

I was back on the road at around 6:30am. I needed to hitch hike back to the last point I had left off at which was the town of Fruitland. I arrived there around 10am. From there I made my way to Cape Girardeau to retrive my cart which I had stored there at the local rec centre. Being a good day with the sun out and a nice 17c I kept on going until around 7pm tonight until I found a local little bar in the town of Kesol. The crew there were good enough to allow me to pitch my tent out the back for the night.

Tomorrow we are expecting rain and on Sunday snow so I am not sure how the next few days will pan out.

Happy birthday to my big sister Toni to for the other day. I know it is really late but I hope ya had a great day, miss you and love you...

1 comment:

  1. It was so much fun to have you here for Thanksgiving and trying/doing things for the first time!!! God had brought you to us for a reason and now that you are gone its weird that my dad had not bropught you back today!! We are thinking and praying for you while you are making your journey!! Knowing that you are walking and buring that weight off that you had gained all back haha welcome to the holidays of America!!! We will be praying for you on your journey and watvhing your posts to see what you are doing!!! Love The Johnson Family

    ReplyDelete