Friday, October 28, 2011

The last few days have been killers. Good days but physically taxing. I left the river a few days ago to move through some farming country. The country was beautiful. It was good to be on some more isolated roads where only every hour or so a car might pass by. At times when I was plodding along I would often gaze around to see if their was not a film crew close by as I could have sworn I was on the set of Smallville, the tv series. The landscape I was walking through was nothing but rolling cornfields, huge cornfields, and every hour or so I would pass by the typical american farm with the tiny, little farmhouse next to the big, red barns. I kept expecting to see Clark Kent going about his duties with his old man next to him!

I mentioned that the last few days were really pretty but as I also said before, they were bloody hard work too. Oout of two long days walking, I reckon I spent 5 mins walking on flat ground. The rest of it was some of the hilliest terrain I have come across. For the people back home that are familiar with good old Duffields Rd, the last few days has been full of them, but for a non stop 80 or so kilometers. By the end of each day my calfs and feet were aching. Reaching the top of each big hill though had its rewards, especially in the afternoon. As I reached the top the views were beautiful, and with sunset arriving, all the more, being able to see for literally kilometers with the sun setting over the cornfields was really nice.

Well after those tough few days I finally arrived in Potosi, the little town I had as my checkpoint. I arrived at the local downtown pub to ask if they had wi fi and maybe to camp on their property. With a lady greeting me with a not so helpful attitude (I think she thought I was homeless or something) I continued on to the other local pub that was another mile or so up the road, and thank god I did. Spent, I arrived there and explained my story. "Of Course" the crew there shouted to me. So I set up my tent and went inside to say gday to the local mob of about 8. After chatting with a few of them and putting my feet up for a bit, one of the guys, Mark, informed me that he has 5 or so cabins a few kms down the road and that he would offer me the use of them for the night free of charge. The thought of a shower and a bed made me make up my mind pretty quickly and we set off in his car 10 mins later. I left my tent on the property as it is in a tiny town and the locals assured me it was in good hands. I was expecting a tiny little cabin that was maybe for hunters or something, boy did I get a suprise, I wa to walk in and flick the lights on to a 5 star cabin that I would be happy to call my home. You can see the cabins here as I forgot to bring my camera as we left in a rush as I think that Mark was in a hurry to get back to the bar!! - http://www.pinepointlodgepotosi.com/

So after a night in a luxury cabin, drinking tea, eating biscuts, curled up on the reclining arm chair watching movies on pay tv, I am obviously feeling fresh and ready to get back on the road again. A massive thanks to Mark for his genorosity and for the crew at Potosi pub (the pub on the highway, not downtown, haha).

I will be making my way to the town of Duebuque today. The weather is looking good which is always a positive sign, the last few days had some downpours of rain which slowed me down a bit,  for now all is thumbs up, so with that, Ill be off....

No comments:

Post a Comment