Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Good People of Minnesota...

Well the good days have certainly kept on coming. I had a long walk set in for today, around 35km was my goal. I took off around 9am which was a late start as I was waiting for my clothes to dry off a bit. After maybe two or three hours a guy stopped alongside me and asked if I needed a lift. I explained that I would love one but I must decline for the the obvious reason. The guy bid me farewell and good luck. A half hour or so later who should turn up? But the same fella. His name was Larry. Larry informed me that there was nothing for the next 40kms to obtain any food, but if I wanted I could join him and his wife for dinner at their house which was around 30 kms ahead. I told him that would be great and would see them in 4 or 5 hours. 

So after a long day I arrived at Larries home around 4:30 and what a blessing this was to be! First up they had the washing machine waiting for me to use (which I was in desperate need, the hand washing I did didn't really get rid of the sweat and stench filling my clothes), then I jumped in the shower (first one in 7 days), then when I came out and we were chatting about life and the trek, what should Larry find hidden behind the couch... but a foot massager!! Things could not get any better. All I needed now was a hot meal of chicken, corn and mash potatoes followed by apple pie and ice cream - wouldn't you know it, that is what they served up for dinner! I was in heaven. After dinner I was able to have a chat with my fiance in Colombia, it was great to speak to her and her family after such a long time.

Tomorrow I continue on, for the second day in a row I am now heading south and will be until the finish. Is a nice feeling to be walking in the direction of Colombia now. The next town is around 35kms away again so it would be nice to reach there tomorrow.

With a pack full of clean clothes, a belly full of chicken and pie and another set of good memories from such good people, I am ready to attack another day. Thanks so much to Larry and Kathy for the hospitality and goodness that I received from them. When I asked Larry why he took pity on a bloke walking down the river road, he simply stated that he was paying it forward, wouldn't it be a better place if there were more Larries and Kathies in the world! 

3rd October

Today started off as a great day and only got better. This morning as I got up around 7 and Tony (Tammies husband) came down to introduce himself. He asked If I would like a coffee, you better believe I said yes.
10 minutes later whilst packing my gear for the day I heard Tony on his way back with that coffee he had promised, but this time the whole family had come back to see the strange guy sleeping in their front yard.. and they had brought breakfast! What a bunch of champions. With a big mug of hot coffee, a banana, a bottle of water and four of the best blueberry muffins around, Tony, Tammy and their two gorgeous girls definitely get the 3 votes from me. I really hope Tony, Tammy and the family are reading this as I want to say thank you again very much, you have no idea how much some kindness can give someone a boost in their step to start the day! 

From there I made my way to the next town, Deer River, some 11kms away. As I arrived I noticed some women taking photos of me. I did not think much as by now I am used to getting stared at wandering around with this big pack on. She came over and asked my name and then introduced herself as Louise, a reporter from the local paper and that she was waiting for me. Seems news travels fast in the sticks! We did an interview and then Louise showed me where the post office was as I wanted to mail some boots back home. The price was pretty steep back to Oz so Louise invited me back to the local papers office and told me that they would send them to me when I arrived in New Orleans. Good people are being put in my way hey. Thanks to Louise and all the crew at the Deer River paper, you have made the journey a lot easier!

I have made good time today and arrived in Grand Rapids and actually made it a few kms out of town and am now camping next to an old bottle shop. I asked an elderly couple who were standing outside of it if there were any hotels around and found out they were the owners of the shop. After explaining what I was doing they told me to pitch my tent. I was looking forward to finding a hotel as I was in desperate need of a wash as were my clothes. The shop has an outside house and after holding my breath and hopping under that for a minute or two I can now say I honestly feel like a million bucks. I also did a load of hand washing under it and am right to go. With a wash, a dinner of 4 tiny apples (a nice bloke in Grand Rapids gave my 8 of them as I was passing his house), my two last muffins and a cheese sandwich I am feeling a new man. So I will be off to bed and hope the good days keep on coming.


2nd October

The past few days have been spent following a road that eventually leads to the town, and my first real checkpoint, Grand Rapids. I have only managed to come across the Mississippi four or five times in the last two days also. It has been a pretty uneventful few days except for a pack of coyotes fighting or attacking something outside of my tent last night. This is a great alarm clock if you have trouble getting yourself up and out of bed,  gave me a bloody fright!

I had to lighten the pack last night also. Carrying 30 kgs and covering more than 30 kms everyday was starting to hurt a little and it was only going to get worse. I might kick myself later for getting rid of some of the items I did, but it is better than wrecking my body and having to have time off the trek or worse, having to stop all together. Amongst the items was my treasured cooker (sorry Youngst, love the thought though). It cooked me some good soups and stews early on but it was just taking up too much room and weight, which included the litre of methylated spirits I had to take with it also. It will have to be sangas, fruit and the occasional hot meal at a shop to keep me going now. All good!

At the moment I am camped outside of a lovely ladies house by the name of Tammy. I was knackered  and  wandering past when I saw her and her family in the yard and also the perfect patch of grass for my tent. She was happy to help which saves me searching around the bushes for a decent camp site. Right now I am off to massage my feet, tuck into a cheese and tomato sanga and read my book. Hope to make the outskirts of Grand Rapids tomorrow where the Mississippi becomes easier to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment