Monday, October 24, 2011

First Taste of Wisconsin...

I feel like I am getting somewhere. Crossing into Wisconsin a few days ago was a good feeling. Leaving Minnesota with good memories I was quickly greeted by the kindness of Wisconsin too. I recieved an email from a family in La Crosse, the first town I was to come to in Wisconsin, stating that I had met a friend of theirs in one of the towns I passed through further North and that they would be good enough to allow me to put my tent up in their yard and take me out for dinner, you know I said a big yes and of course a thank you!!

I arrived in the afternoon to the address they had given me to find no one there, but a very cute little note from their 9 year old daughter, Stella, telling me where to set up the tent and that they will be back soon.  This brought a smile to my face and let me warm to Wisconsin immedietly. No more than half an hour later Tod was to arrive, Stellas father, who quickly invited me in and let me use the shower, which was exactly what I was after and needed. I showered and then we went to pick up Terri (mum) and Stella. They invited me out to dinner and refused to let me pay. We had a Chinese buffet, could there be anything better after walking 30kms I ask?? After numerous plates of this and that and getting to know the family, we headed around town for a quick tour and then retired to the house.

After sleeping like a log (they had given me a pillow to use which I had not used in a while, was like magic) I got out of the tent and went inside to the smell of blueberry muffins. Ater knocking back half a dozen of them I was also able to get my washing done. While waiting for this Stella gave me lessons in dragon mythology and told me all about tornado alley, she is a great kid, full of life and with no shortage of confidence! With clean clothes, a stomach full of food and a bag of more goodies to take with me compliments of the great family who had taken me in, I set off around 11:30. Thanks a heap you guys for looking after me, it was hard to leave the comforts of your house and good hearts. God Bless, be good Stella...

I managed to get about 1 hour down the road before I was stopped by a local news reporter who was after an interview. We had a quick chat and did some footage and I was off again. The story aired that night and the next morning. I must say the reception I recieved as I as passing through the little towns the next day was really cool, people were stopping to get their pictures taken with me,encouregment was being shouted out of car windows and from local shops and houses, it was really a nice experience to be supported so much from complete strangers!

I am now in the tiny town of Ferryville. The days have been getting colder and colder each day, and the nights and the morning, oof, they are freezing! This morning when I got out of the tent I was to find both the tarp of my cart and the tent to be covered in a thin layer of ice. Tonight is going to be below freezing again so I want to find a good camp spot a little earlier so I am not looking for one in the cold and dark. Now it almost feels as if it is a race between me and the winter to get south. At the moment I am winning as it has not snowed yet, but I will not speak too soon as there has been many halloweens where blizzards have appeared and halloween is only 7 days away, better get these little legs pumping...

2 comments:

  1. Mick, it was so nice to meet you. We had a wonderful time chatting with you. Thanks for being patient with Stella. I'll let her know where you are. She's following you on a map. :)

    Stay warm & dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed the news report, but I found it on their website: http://www.news8000.com/news/Man-walking-length-of-Mississippi-River/-/326/3991228/-/79cr6az/-/index.html

    ReplyDelete