Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bathroom Nightmares

The nights and the mornings are getting a lot colder as the winter closes in slowly but surely. The days have been great but as soon as the sun begins to go down you feel the chill settle on you. And the mornings are becoming harder to drag yourself out of the sleeping bag for the morning bathroom duties let me tell ya. I am not complaining though, all is well as it is usually a lot colder this time of the year the locals have told me.

The past few days have been spent in some beautiful country around the areas of Hastings and Lake City. The walk has been great also as I have been able to follow the river perfectly with it being in sight of me for most of the days. To start the morning well I went in to the little towns only fast food store "Subway" to grab a good breaky for the good start to the day that I was looking for. As I was chewing down my sandwich and coffee I got talking to the nice young girl working there who asked me why I had all the gear and where I was heading. After a nice chat to the crew there I made my way off down the road. An hour or so later I noticed a car pulling up beside me. One of the guys from Subway had turned up. The shy type of guy got out of the car and handed me a bag of food,  $20 and a note which explains itself that you can see attached here above. I think if this type of thing happened to me everyday for the rest of my life I would always feel touched, humbled and so grateful each time. To you Adam and Rachel I send out a big thanks, I would have liked to stay chatting with you two for longer, you seemed like a real good couple of people, I wish you the best for the year, thank again so much....

So the good of the day had come and gone, now to come was the fear... I was going through a town of around 10 houses and had the sudden urge to use the bathroom and not number 1s if you dont mind me saying. It came fast and the emergency horn was starting to sound. I saw an old church on the hill above and hoped to god there would be a bathroom of some sort awaiting me. I arrived sweating and hot from the dash to find an old outside toilet. I grabbed my toilet paper (yes I am not that ferral, I do have it) and went like a whippet to the door. As I opened the door (you can see a photo of this toilet in the latest photos I uploaded) something bigger than a rat but smaller than a bear went running into the roof. I had no choice, I had to go for it. As son as I sat down, whatever it was in the roof starting going nuts, it must of thought I was coming for it! It scurried back and forth trying to get to me or away from me. Suddenly it was in the wall behind me, by now I can tell you I was literally $%&*^* myself. It could have been a scene from Alien vs Predator, one second it was behind me, then bang, it was above in the roof again. I finished as quick as I could, my head flicking back and forth following the noise and just as I was about to pull the pants up the bloody thing was below me in the toilet (it was an old wooden toilet where the actual toilet is like a wooden bench seat with a hole in it that goes onto the ground). I was half expecting to recieve a bite on the bum or worse, I jumped as high as I could and virtually fell out of the door, luckily with pants up!
From the bathroom I quickened my pace, half the reason as I was pumping with adrenellin and "what the hell just happened syndrome" and the other was to get away from the possessed bathroom of the Mississippi. With all my bits and pieces in tact I geared up and kept on the move, looking back every now and again just to make sure what ever it was was not coming to finish off the job.

With that experience behind me I laughed out aloud about it as I walked away from the spooky little town. As for now it looks as if rain is about to hit. I probably have another hour or so walking time so I best be getting into it.

To all my family and to Cami, I am thinking of you guys lots, miss yas.......

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Mick, got a really good laugh at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your eye out for bald eagles. You're in the prime spot to see them. If you need a yard for your tent and access to tub/shower and a washer/dryer when you get to La Crosse WI, let me know. I sent an email. Not sure if you got it. You can reach me at this address, instead: swirlgirl66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mick,
    I got a tip from a friend that you were seen not far from Wabasha. So when it started to get dark I went on a search to see if I could find you. I figured my spare room and a hot shower would be nice, considering it's raining. I drove around for an hour, but no suck luck. I'm disappointed, but I'll pray for sunshine tomorrow. Good luck to you! I also spread the word to my Winona friends to keep an eye out. "If he looks cold, give him coffee!"
    Rachel Rude

    ReplyDelete